Safeguard Your Devices
It's important to safeguard your personal computers, mobile phones, tablets, and other devices.
Computer best practices
1. Make sure your personal firewall is turned on.
- Learn more about configuring Windows firewalls and MacOS X firewalls.
- MSU Computer Store - Help and Repair, in 120 Computer Center, can make sure your firewall is set up properly.
2. Perform regular operating system updates and software updates. These updates often include security patches.
- Learn more about Windows and MacOS X operating system updates.
- Learn more about enabling automatic Windows software updates.
- MSU Computer Store - Help and Repair, in room 120 of the Computer Center, can also check your operating system and software updates.
3. Install antivirus and antispyware software.
- Schedule daily antivirus updates and scans of your computer.
- Learn more about recommended downloads and patches.
- Antivirus and antispyware software can be purchased at the MSU Computer Store in room 110 of the Computer Center at an educational discount.
4. Upgrade to the latest version of your browser and take advantage of the security features available.