Safeguard Your Devices
It's important to safeguard your personal computers, mobile phones, tablets, and other devices.
Computer best practices
1. Make sure your personal firewall is turned on.
- Learn more about configuring Windows firewalls and MacOS X firewalls.
- MSU Computer Store - Help and Repair, in 120 Computer Center, can make sure your firewall is set up properly.
2. Perform regular operating system, software, and app updates. These updates often include security patches.
- Learn more about Windows and MacOS X operating system updates.
- Learn more about enabling automatic Windows software updates.
- MSU Computer Store - Help and Repair, in room 120 of the Computer Center, can also check your operating system and software updates.
3. Install antivirus and antispyware software. Also consider anti-malware.
- Schedule daily antivirus updates and scans of your computer and mobile devices.
- Learn more about recommended downloads and patches.
- Antivirus and antispyware software can be purchased for your computer at the MSU Computer Store in room 110 of the Computer Center at an educational discount.
4. Upgrade to the latest version of your browser and take advantage of the security features available.
- Some browser security features include site pinning, safe browsing, and auto updates. These features can protect against phishing and malware attacks.
- Investigate the built-in security features on your mobile devices.
- Learn more about security features in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome.